Upward Bound is a government funded program that helps high school students in surrounding areas West Hills College. Both West Hills College Lemoore and West Hills College Coalinga offer Upward Bound Programs.
Upward Bound Program is an early college intervention program that targets high school students that show strong commitment and interest towards enrolling into college. The program is funded by the Department of Education and hosted by West Hills College Lemoore and West Hills College Coalinga. Our main objective is to promote academic achievement and higher learning by offering an array of support services that will foster educational success.
At West Hills College Coalinga, Upward Bound offers:
- Two-hour after school tutorials are held once a week at each high school site.
- All day Saturday Sessions are held once a month at West Hills College Coalinga.
- A six-week residential summer component is held on campus at West Hills College Coalinga.
- Recreational, educational, cultural and inspirational fieldtrips throughout California.
During each of these components, the program offers academic tutoring, personal, educational and financial aid counseling, field trips to colleges and universities, as well as motivational guest speakers.
At West Hills College Lemoore, Upward Bounds offers:
The program is designed to motivate students and to prepare them for post-secondary success. In order to meet the primary objectives, the West Hills College Lemoore Upward Bound Program offers the following services to its participants:
- Academic Tutoring
- Leadership Development
- Career Counseling
- Community Service
- ACT / SAT Preparation
- Science Research
- College Credit
- College Tours
- College Preparation
- Recreational Activities
- Incentive Stipend
- Cultural Enrichment
- Monthly Saturday Enrichment Workshops
- 6 Week Summer Component for Freshmen Through Juniors
- Summer bridge program at WHCL for Outgoing Seniors